Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lessons from Sanders' Spirtual Discipleship book

Love: There is NO selfishness in love. Can others discern progress in love in my life?


Joy: There is no depression in love, for joy is the natural outcome of love. Christian joy is independent of circumstances and can cohabit with sorrow. Do others see me as a joyous person?


Peace: There is no anxiety in love. Am I making progress in the conquest of worry?


Patience: There is no impatience or irritability in love. "The strength of our love can be measured by the length of our patience." Am I more patient than I was three months ago?


Kindness: There is no abrasiveness in love for "love is kind." Am I developing a more kindly disposition?


Goodness: There is no depravity in love. Goodness is active benevolence. Am I visibly a better person than I was?


Faithfulness: There is no fickleness in love. Faithfulness has been described as the reliability that never gives up and never lets down. Am I making strides in dependability?


Meekness: There is no retaliation in love. Meekness is the antihesis of self-assertion. The meek person does not fight for his rights unless it involves interests of the kingdom's sake. Do I increasingly manifest a meek spirit?


Discipline: There is no laxness in love. "discipline is a virtue which consists in mastery of the appetites and passions, especially the sensual ones." Discipline is not the control of self by self - it is control by the Holy Spirit. Do others see me as a graciously disciplined person?


Spiritual Discipleship Principles of Following Christ for Every Believer

by: J. Oswald Sanders


No comments:

Post a Comment